Kingsway Surgery

0208 756 4388

Changes to Repeat Prescriptions Ordering from 1st December 2017

Pharmacies and suppliers of medical appliances will not be able to order medicines on your behalf from 1st December 2017.  Instead you will need to order your repeat prescription directly from your GP practice. 

What are repeat prescriptions?

A repeat prescription allows you to get your regular medication without having to see your doctor each time.

Patients on long-term medication can order repeat prescriptions, in writing only, in the following ways:

  • In person – drop the computerised repeat slip into the surgery (or a form from reception) with the required items clearly marked.
  • Online through smartphone app or computer
  • By post – send it to us with a stamped addressed envelope if you want us to post it back to you.
  • We do not accept repeat prescription requests over the phone.

What you need to do

As your GP practice will not accept repeat requests from pharmacies or other suppliers you will need to order your repeat prescriptions from your GP practice when you have 7 to 10 days of medicines left. You should contact your community pharmacy to let them know you have ordered a prescription if you wish for them to collect this for you.

Remember your GP practice needs 2–3 working days to issue a prescription, so don’t leave it until the last minute. The community pharmacy requires an additional 48 hours to dispense your medicines.

To register for online services you will need to visit your GP practice and request a user login.

Why is this happening?

Under the old system some patients built up a stock of unused medicines. The NHS can reduce the cost of waste medicines through improving repeat prescribing systems. The money saved through reducing medicines waste will be used to fund prescribing of medicines to the population of Hillingdon.

The new system is also safer as your GP can monitor your prescription more easily and discuss the prescription items that you continue to need at your regular review.

Who can I speak with to get help with this change?

In the first instance contact your GP surgery.

NHS Hillingdon Clinical Commissioning Group

Boundary House
Cricket Field Road

Tel: 01895 203000

Email: [email protected]

I’m worried about someone that is not coping with this change

Please speak to their GP practice about your concerns.